BCHS mission statement:
“The object of this Society shall be to bring together those
people interested in history, and especially the history of Buffalo
County and the State of Nebraska. Understanding the history and
preservation of the history of our community is basic to our democratic
way of life and gives us a better appreciation of our American heritage.”
Memorial Day thru
Monday-Saturday 10 am to 6 pm
and Sundays from 1-5 pm
Monday 1-4 pm
September thru May:
Monday-Friday 1-5 pm
Monday 1-4 pm
County Historical Society
710 West 11th Street
PO Box 523
Kearney, NE 68848-0523
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I donate items?
- A: All donated items have to be approved by our collections committee. Bring the item to Trails & Rails with a completed Temporary Custody Form If the item is too big or delicate, feel free to bring or mail us pictures of the item instead. You will be contacted if the committee does not accept the item.
Q: How do I get to the museum?
- A: We are five blocks west of 2nd Ave on 11th St across from Centenial Park. To find us from Interstate 80, take Exit 272, travel north on 2nd Ave until you get to the 11th St. intersection. Turn west, travel five blocks and you will find us on the south side of the road.
Q: How much does it cost to see Trails & Rails Museum?
- A: It is $7 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under, kids under 2 years old are free. BCHS members get in for FREE.
Q: What will I see at Trails & Rails Museum?
- A: You will see eight historic buildings and our train on a guided tour that lasts 1-1.5 hours. Click HERE to see pictures of Trails & Rails Museum.
Q: Do you offer group rates?/How do I schedule a group tour?
- A: We do! Click HERE to see the different options for group tours/group events. We ask that you schedule group tours as far in advance as possible so we can organize volunteers/tour guides.
Q: Can I get my senior pictures/wedding pictures/group pictures taken at
Trails & Rails Museum?
Q: Do you rent out Trails & Rails Museum for special events?
Q: How can I participate in your special events?
- A: Christmas Tree Walk, Buffalo Stampede, Wagons West (coming soon: information for each event)
Q: Do you need volunteers?
Q: Do you have genealogy information?
- A: Yes and a great team of volunteer archivists willing to help! Our archive is open Monday 1-4 for visitors or you can email queries to email@example.com You can also call 308-234-3041 to make an apointment.
Q: Can you help me with estate planning?
Q: What is Give Where You Live?/Do you participate in Give Where You
Q: How do I save my grandma's quilt? (And other artifact preservation
Q: Do you have information about___?
Q: I know you have a gift shop. Can I bring in my items to
Q: What do you sell in your gift shop?
Our gift shop carries a diverse assortment of train and pioneer-themed items, games, toys, and items made at the museum in the J.C. Marlatt Blacksmith Shop. We also have numerous adult and children's books about local and state history, trains, and westward expansion. Click HERE to see some of our selection.